Sunday, September 16, 2007

Halifax Library appearance -- and Sniffing the Coast

I'm getting very slack about maintaining this blog, so I haven't even managed to mention that I'm doing an illustrated talk at the Halifax Public Library on Spring Garden Road on Tuesday, September 18 -- the day after tomorrow -- starting at 7:00 PM.

I also haven't mentioned that my second sailing book, Sniffing the Coast (1993), which has been out of print for a decade or more, is finally available again. It's an account of a 1992 cruise from D'Escousse, Cape Breton, up Northumberland Strait to Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, and then down the west coast of PEI and on to the Magdalen Islands. From the Magdalens my late wife Lulu and I sailed back to eastern PEI and thence home to Isle Madame.

There's a social sub-text to this book, too. Everywhere we went, I found people deeply concerned about the future of the Maritimes and rural Canada -- and profoundly committed to finding a viable and rewarding role for their own communities in a strange new world with web sites, digital everythings, and no fish. It was a fascinating summer.

You can order Sniffing the Coast at www.capebretonbooks.com.

No comments: